Open Source Software Workshop
Sharq Village & Spa Ras
Jump into the world of apps, source codes and transformative innovation - it's the world of open source software.
Join the rapidly growing community of web and software developers that are embracing open source and finding new ways to make their mark.
Take part in this hands-on workshop on October 23, 2010 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and learn from some of the leading open source developers in the region. Hear insights on the latest thinking in open source and engage in practical tutorials on development innovation.
To register, please visit: www.qataropensource.eventbrite.com
11:15 a.m. Welcome Introduction to the workshop
11:15 - 1:15 General Session
- Why F/LOSS (Free Libre Open Source Software) matters? (Barry Threw)
- The Economy of F/LOSS (Christopher Adams)
- Open Standards and Libre Software/Graphics/Content and How They Connect (Bassel Safadi)
- Open to Participation: How to Contribute to Open Source Projects (Mahmoud Abu Al Wardeh)
- Why Developing Economies Need Open Source Software (Bassel Safadi)
- The Freedom Stack: Delay Tolerant Networks, Backdoor Free Technology, and SLOWFI Culture Movement (Jon Phillips)
1:15 - 2:00 Lunch Break
2:00 - 4:00 Case studies and Tech Lab
- Linux's History, Overview of the Operating System and Live demo/Installation (Issa Mahasneh)
- Sharism, Aiki, Statusnet, Copyleft Hardware (Jon Phillips)
- Open Source Implementations in Daily Life Applications
- How to Build a Website (Blog, Wiki, Photo archive) on F/LOSS software